Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners

Questions and Answers

Below are questions and answers to those questions that are frequently asked of the Board office:


Q. What is the fastest way to get an answer from Board staff?

A. E-mail is the quickest form of communication with the Board staff. For general questions or licensing questions, please e-mail jason.brock1@wyo.gov.

Q. Can I pay over the phone for anything?

A. At this time, we do not have the ability to take credit or debit card payments over the phone or in the board office.

Q. I live in Cheyenne; can I bring in my application, documents or payment?

A. Of course! Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. If you need to talk to Board staff, please call ahead to make sure we will be in the office when you arrive. Please be aware the Board does NOT accept cash.

Q. Who do I make my check, cashier’s check or money order out to?

A. The State of Wyoming or the Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners.

Q. Where do I mail my application or request forms?

A. The address to our office can be found on the contact us page. It also is on top of every application and form.

Q. I moved. How can I change my address with the Board?

A. All address changes must be received in writing. You can email your new address to jason.brock1@wyo.gov.

Q. What is considered proof of legal presence?

A. Most commonly, proof of legal presence is a COPY of your social security card, passport, or state issued birth certificate. Driver’s licenses and hospital issued birth certificates are not accepted.

Q. I got married or divorced recently and changed my last name. What do I need to do with the Board office?

A. We have a name change request form. We also can accept a written request. You will need to include the legal document that allowed for the name change. This generally is a copy of your marriage license of divorce decree. If a divorce decree, please only bring the page specifying the name change.

Q. How can I get a new wall certificate and/or pocket cards with my new name?

A. There is a $25.00 fee for replacement documents. This fee must be received in the form of a cashier's check or money order. You can mail in this fee with a written request, or include the fee with your name change request form.

Q. I changed my name a while ago but my proof of legal presence still shows my previous name. Can I still apply using my proof of legal presence?

A. Yes! You will need to include a copy of the legal document that allowed for your name change (commonly a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree) with your application.

Q. What do I need to submit for my application to be complete?

A. Almost every application packet we have available includes an instruction page. Please visit the appropriate page of the website and choose the application you are interested in for more information.

Q. I want to apply in another state and they told me I need a letter with my license information, how do I get that?

A. You need a license verification. There is a fee of $25.00 for this service, payable by cashier’s check or money order to the state of Wyoming. We do have a verification request form available. You also can send a written request with your name, type of license, current address and the address you want the verification sent.


Q. I need lists of all the dentists or hygienists (or both) that are licensed in Wyoming. What do I do?

A. We have a roster request form available on our website. Additionally, we will take a written request. There is a $25.00 fee for each roster (that’s $50.00 if you want both) that must be in the form of a cashier’s check or money order.

Q. I am a foreign trained dentist. Can I get licensed in Wyoming?

A. In the Dental Board rules and regulations it states that dentists may apply for licensure in one of two ways, by examination or by endorsement. To qualify by examination: (a) Eligibility. An applicant may seek dental licensure by examination if the applicant graduated from a CODA accredited U.S. or Canadian Dental School within twelve (12) months and has never been licensed to practice as a dentist in any state.

To qualify by endorsement: (a) Eligibility. An applicant may seek dental licensure by endorsement if the applicant has a license in good standing in another jurisdiction with licensure requirements as stringent as Wyoming.

The Board has defined another jurisdiction as a U.S. or Canadian state. Therefore, the board has recommended that foreign trained dentists look at the accelerated programs that offer a way to get a CODA accredited dental degree. The ADA may have additional information to assist you.


Q. Can a dentist provide Botox?

A. Botox may not be used by dentists for cosmetic purposes. If the intended end result is cosmetic in nature, it is outside of the scope of practice. If it is therapeutic in nature as it pertains to the practice of dentistry, dentists may utilize Botox in dental procedures.

Q. Can a hygienist provide Botox?

A. No, Botox is considered outside the scope of practice of a dental hygienist. The Board does not consider administering local anesthetic to include Botox.

Q. Can hygienists use silver diamine flouride?

A. Yes. Chapter 7, Section 4(a)(ii) indicates that general supervision is required for dental hygienists to perform any functions authorized for dental assistants as set forth in the Board Rules. Chapter 7, Section 6(c) lists application of topical medication, excluding pit and fissure sealants as an authorized function for dental assistants. The Board concurs that fluoride applications are topical medications. Therefore, dental hygienists can apply flouride under general supervision. Chapter 1, Section 3(v)(i) states general supervision “of a dental auxiliary means that a dentist has diagnosed and authorized the procedures which are being carried out; however, a dentist need not be present when the authorized procedures are being performed.”